Thursday, August 16, 2007

To my Nation!

The-Independence-Day-Special Section

This is one of those rare, rare, rare Special Edition Bugles. It ISN'T entirely about me. It is about (for once only, do NOT get used to it) us.I realised, as I spoke to a friend of mine who was stuck out of the country, what today meant to me.

This day, this 60th year of our independence, was very very special. I know because for some reason I sang the anthem all day long. I stood every time it played on television and I walked with pride.

I am not usually so emotional, I felt like a right fool the first time I stood for the anthem, in an empty room with only the TV to witness my action. After that it just felt right.

Here we are, 60 years later, and we're still together. We're still corrupt in places, and poor in places, and uneducated. We fight, we riot, we raise our voices against each other.

And yet, we're together. Not every nation can say that. We've a Marxist movement, we've a communal movement, regional movements and the works. And yet no one denies that we're democratic, we're a republic, we're equal.

And not every nation can say THAT either. And no matter where I go and what I do, I'll know that I'm first an Indian. And I feel immense pride in that.

Here's to India. Here's to our generation, and to the ones to follow. We're 60, we're young, we'll always be young, we're going to win the WORLD!

The Ed. and Rajul

(If I sounded soppy, I don't care, I still love this day. And I'm very happy I've a friend stuck in the US, it's still 15th August there and I can live in this day for a while longer :) (Sorry friend-stuck-in-US, I'm being, as usual, selfish)

No comments: